Course #190: Peak States Therapist Certification
Professional Therapist Training
Certification occurs usually some months after the therapist graduates from the PeakStates training, giving time to build proficiency on themselves. The usual time is about 2-6 months from the start of the therapist training.
If you are a graduate of PeakStates training and you intend to become certified, please let us know by contacting Samara at ￼.
There is no guarantee that you will become certified after taking the prerequisite classes - we test for competence in using the techniques that you've learned. There are also support teleclasses and peer practice sessions available. With the month-long training format and in-class practice sessions on volunteer clients, most students feel comfortable with the techniques by the end of their training. For many therapists the biggest hurdle for certification is agreeing to 'charge for results' on all your work, whether it is using a PeakStates process or not. (For more on this, see course #30: Introduction to 'pay for results'.)
- A simple, step-by-step checklist for certification (Revision 1.0, PDF, June 19, 2008)
This PDF document gives a brief, step-by-step checklist of requirements for students who intend to become certified by the Institute.
- Detailed Steps for Basic Certification (Revision 1.4a, PDF file, 208kB)
This PDF document gives the reasons for our requirements for certification, and describes the curriculum requirements, benefits and obligations of basic certification, and student's scope of practice as text and as summary tables.
Summary of Requirements for PeakStates Certification
- Crisis intervention training (with suicide intervention) or Suicide Intervention training.
- Recognizing mental illness training (DSM-4, DSM-5, or ICD-10).
- Training in recognizing and treating spiritual emergencies (coursework only).
- Valid legal licensing in the area that you practice.
- Liability insurance for your practice.
- Demonstration of skill for an Institute certification person.
- Follow ethical behavior and safety guidelines as set by the Institute.
- A written examination.
There is a $100US annual fee for certification from the Institute for the Study of Peak States (if you are not employed at our clinics). We also require that the therapist remain updated on the latest material from the Institute (since the field is changing so rapidly). Thus, we re-certify at a regular interval to be sure our conditions for certification continue to be met. This entitles you to become listed on the website, have licensed access to Gaia music (and other material as it becomes available), and get support for your clients from more advanced Institute certified healers. We also have a 'charge for results' fee structure for clients as standard practice.
Practical experience working with clients using power therapies and peak state techniques is needed for competence. This can be done by mentoring or in a class. Obviously, specialized conventional training is also required for specific client groups: sexual abuse, domestic violence, addictions, mental illness, etc.
The Institute trains therapists in subcellular and developmental psychobiology techniques in order for them to become certified by the Institute, so they can have access to licensed material and help us in our objective of redefining the field of psychology. Unfortunately, after completing coursework we find that many students delay doing the certification process until they no longer feel capable of finishing and going on to work with clients. Thus, we now have a policy that students need to do their theory assessment be done within 3 months of finishing the course (with an extension of 3 more months if there is a valid reason); the practical demonstration of skill with clients assessment must be done within 4 weeks of the theory exam. If a student does not make the deadlines, they will need to retake the training course.
Sources for Insurance for WHH practitioners
- Australia: the international professional association for alternative therapies is called IICT. Both WHH and PeakStates are approved modalities. They offer insurance through OAMPS. www.iict.com.au/insurance.htm
- Austria: insurance is available via Rechtsschutzversicherung für Energetiker und ähnliche Berufe, www.gasler.co.at.
- Canada: we're negotiating with an insurance company called Preventative Health, wwwpreventativehealthservices.com. They are willing to insure WHH, but require a minimum number of practitioners enrolled, which is a problem for us. We'll update when we know more.
- Germany: insurance is available via an energy therapist organization, Berufshaftpflichtversicherung für Energetiker und ähnliche Berufe, www.basler-securitas.de.
- Switzerland: insurance is available via Betriebsunterbrechnungsversicherung für Energetiker und ähnliche Berufe, www.baloise.ch.
- UK: the Australian IICT professional association for alternative therapists has just opened a branch. www.iict.co.uk. They have WHH and PeakStates registered as accepted therapies, and offer insurance to therapists using our modalities.
- USA: the American Professional Agency Inc. at www.americanprofessional.com offers insurance for alternative therapies. This insurer works with the AIWP, the religious organization that we are licensed by in the USA. The ISSSEEM also offers insurance for energy therapists. www.issseem.org/liability.cfm
Information for Certified Therapists
Certified therapists get access and support training for new discoveries and processes from the Institute. We also have a website designed specifically for the use of certified therapists at www.peakstatestherapy.com, with individual therapist webpages. Client brochures, liability agreements, and other documentation useful for therapists can be found there.
There is also a legal agreement between the Institute and the therapist if they become certified. This is for liability and safety issues. For a copy of the agreement, click here: Provisional Basic Certification License Contract (rev 3.5) PDF.
- 1 day exam. Cost is 320€.
- Completed courses #110, 120, 130, 140, 150.
May 24, 2012: Removed some of the client usage restrictions on four techniques taught in the trainings.
The four techniques are 1) The Courteau Projection Technique™, Crosby Vortex Technique™, Body Association Technique™, and the Tribal Block Technique™. The Whole-Hearted Healing™ Workbook by Paula Courteau covering three of these techniques and is available via Amazon.
1.3 July 27, 2014: Added a time deadline for certification assessment after a training.
1.2 November 28, 2011: Added an insurance company for the UK and another for the USA to the list.
1.1 Nov 20 2009: Changed the course number from 170 to 180.
1.0 July 9, 2008. This course #170 is based on course #180 description, but with the requirements for mental illness, suicide and spiritual emergency moved to the new course #150.